How to Clean and Charge Crystals
Your magical crystals deserve proper attention and care. It’s easy to take good care of them, it just takes a little knowledge.
Remember, crystals are incredible structures that are able to store and emit energies and information. See more info on crystals here. So when you bring your crystal home, do an initial cleansing on it to remove any negativity it may have stored in it. Rinse it in a natural source of water or run it under cold water from the tap. Make sure the water is cool, not warm or hot.
A crystal you wear or meditate with daily should be cleaned once a week. Crystals that live as decor in your living spaces, such as on an altar, should be cleaned about once a month.
Cleaning recharges the good energy in crystals. It removes any stale or dense energy the crystal may pick up from the environment, or from you. You want to be careful with anyone touching your crystal, too. If someone does touch it, clean the stone right away before you use it or wear it again. People are attracted to these beautiful stones because they are shiny, pretty, and filled with sparkly energy. But you don’t want others to put their vibrations into it, as a crystal becomes synced to you personally. So keep it just yours!
Do any of the following to clean your crystals
- Use a salt water bath: Salt absorbs and purifies negative energy. You can use salt water from the ocean, or just add salt to a bowl of water. Afterward, rinse them with clean water. (Note: Use hard stones for this method, because some crystals disintegrate in water. Common crystals that can’t get wet include: turquoise, amber, fire opal, red coral, calcite, moonstone, kunzite, kyanite, azurite, angelite, selenite.)
- Bury them underground in dirt for a week. The earth will soak up any unwanted energies and will cleanse and recharge them with the earth’s vibration.
- Burn sage and run the crystal through the smoke to help get rid of unwanted energies.
- Wipe stones with isopropyl alcohol and a soft cloth to remove fingerprints and to sanitize.
- An easy way to cleanse and charge crystals is to leave them out in the moonlight for three days before and three days after the full moon (or for at least 24 hours). The moon’s light is energetically strongest during the full moon, and the lunar energy cleanses and charges the stones.