If you’ve been getting into natural beauty products, you’re probably interested in natural perfume as opposed to the standard synthetic ones!
A lot of women aren’t aware of the fact that standard perfumes have synthetic, man-made chemicals in them. Almost ALL perfumes have these synthetic chemicals! Not only do these chemicals give severe allergies to some people, they actually disturb the hormones of people in general. One effect that this has on people is causing weight gain! Some women struggle with weight loss yet wear these synthetic-fragrance perfumes—they don’t know the connection.
Unless a perfume says “no synthetic fragrance” then it has these chemicals in it! A lot of other beauty products (such as lotions and shampoos) have these synthetic fragrances in them, as well. You can check any product’s ingredients list—if it lists as an ingredient “perfume,” “parfum,” or “fragrance,” that means a synthetic fragrance. Even an ingredient “natural fragrance” usually means synthetic! Of course, perfumes don’t have an ingredient list and those definitely have it.
Just because you don’t want to douse yourself with fake chemicals doesn’t mean you have to go with unscented, bland products! There are TONS of natural beauty products out there. And you can make your own essential oil natural perfume! **Make sure to get pure essential oils (there are some non-pure types out there that have fake fragrance in them).
Essential oils are extracted from parts of plants: the flowers, buds, leaves and stems, barks, woods, roots, seeds, and resins. Essential oils are widely available and can be found at health food stores, herbalists and aromatherapy suppliers.
The effectiveness of plant oils has been know for centuries, but thankfully recently this knowledge has even been backed up by scientific evidence! Essential oils have been found to be antiseptic, antibiotic, anti-inflammatory, and antiviral and their use stimulates the body’s immune system. They can also have effects on moon and general attitude. Using essential oils can have a great therapeutic benefit in your life!
Important: Before creating a perfume, test for sensitivity by placing one drop of each of the chosen oils on your arm. Leave for an hour, and if they cause an allergic reaction do not use.
Making natural perfume
Experiment with essential oils to discover which ones you like best. Here are some combinations to try:
- Sweet and exotic with a hint of citrus: 8 drops jasmine, 6 drops lemon, 4 drops patchouli.
- Fresh and sweet: 4 drops neroli, 4 drops lavender, 2 drops spearmint.
- Oriental with a hint of lemon: 4 drops sandalwood, 3 drops lemon verbana, 4 drops musk, 2 drops frankincense.
- Floral with a hint of spice: 6 drops jasmine, 3 drops orange, 2 drops sandalwood.
- Rich and sweet: 8 drops rose, 4 drops jasmine, 2 drops bergamot.
- Sweet and floral: 6 drops ylang-ylang, 3 drops clary sage, 2 drops lemon, 2 drops lavender.
- Woody and sensual: 8 drops musk, 4 drops sandalwood, 3 drops oakmoss, 2 drops patchouli.
- Fresh and citrusy: 3 drops grapefruit, 3 drops lemon, 2 drops spearmint, 1 drop bergamot.
What you will need:
small dark glass bottle
1 tsp or 2 tsp measuring spoon
strips of blotting paper
2 tsp jojoba oil
selection of essential oils
- Choose three or four essential oils. Decide which are the top, middle, and base notes, and which you would like to be the most dominant. (See following essential oil notes list.)
- Place drops of the oils, in the proportion in which you would like to use them, onto a strip of blotting paper. Leave for five minutes, then sniff to see if you have achieved the desired effect. Correct if necessary.
- Pour the jojoba oil into the bottle. Add up to 20 drops essential oil in the proportions that you have worked out. Cover. Shake well. Sniff to test. Correct, if necessary, adding only one extra drop of oil at a time.
- Leave the perfume for 12 hours in a cool, dark place for the blend to mature. Use within two months.
Essential oil notes
Shop natural perfume supplies
Pure & Natural 3-Pack Essential Oils
Aura Cacia Bergaptene-Free Bergamot Essential Oil
Aura Cacia Amber Mist Bottle with Writable Label
Glass Amber Essential Oil Bottles
Have fun making your own perfume!